Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Irene's Hari-kuyo Needlebook

This is my crazy quilting friend Irene...



Irene is a very talented needle artist with a wry wit and a well-practiced needle.  Her designs are always unique, innovative and beautiful.

Check out what Irene brought the last time we all got together...


It's her version of the Hari-kuyo Needlebook with a gecko crawling across the cover.

Using her own fabrics and trims, Irene used the basic needlebook pattern to create her own personalized book with lots of special touches.

Like using an elastic and a big vintage glass button for the closure...


Her book has a Victorian, Harry Potter-ish feel to it, like it belongs to Professor McGonagall.

She used velvet for the cover and hand-dyed, plaid wools for the needle pages, giving her book a satisfied, chubby appearance...



The true sign of a well-loved, well-fed book.

She didn't like the overly white of the needle labels, so she toned them down with organza ribbons...


And gave her book a proper bookplate on the spine...


Don't you just love that?

But my favorite part of Irene's book is her last page.  

Irene has a tendency toward the irreverent...she's not one that likes a lot of sap and sugar.  So when it came time to create a page to honor her broken needles, the "Broken but not Forgotten" idea just didn't cut it with her.  

Instead, she came up with this...


A place for her broken needles to RIP (Rest in Peace).  

To die for. 

She even angled the cuts on the top felt corners to resemble a tombstone.  

Of course, we all loved her book.  And, after listening to all our ooh-ing and aah-ing, Irene says, "Well, now that I'm collecting all these broken needles...I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do with them."  

Evidently, the heartfelt, personal memorial service honoring her broken needles probably isn't Irene's style either. 

Well, tomorrow I'll show you a burial solution that will be perfect for Irene's needles.  And it's just in time for Halloween...And no, it isn't a Jack Skellington pin cushion with broken needles sticking out it's head...though that isn't a bad idea.

I'll show you tomorrow. 

Sandy update: We're fine.  Never lost power.  Sending healing thoughts and prayers to our friends in New York, New Jersey and the Northeast.   

Needlebook Update:  The Hari-kuyo Needlebook class is open for registration.  Class begins November 12.  You can read about the details of the class here.  Join us.  There are five different kits to choose from or use your own materials and make your own version of the needlebook like Irene did.  

16 comments:

Createology said...

So very thankful you are safe from the storm. Irene's needle book is divine with her personal touches. She truly took inspiration and made it her very own creation. Blessings...

Sheila said...

Irene's a gal after my own heart! I love her book. How fun! So glad to hear you and your family are okay. The news on your side of the country is heart breaking.

Catherine said...

What a fantastic book finish! Love all of her adaptations.

Unknown said...

That picture is Irene all over again. Love it.

Rachel said...

Good to know you're safe! And lovely to see such a luscious needlecase!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

That Gecko looks right at home and the button closure is a beautiful addition too. She did a beautiful job on the needlebook. Love the R.I.P. ~ lol.

Glad you didn't have more serious problems. Horrible storm.

verobirdie said...

So relieved you are OK!

Mary Ann Tate said...

I love Irene's needle book...so original:)

Glad you made it through the storm. We didn't have any problems but our neighbours fence was flattened.

Wendy said...

I am so glad you are safe from the storm....your friends needle book is just lovely....

Cari said...

Love, love, love the needle book. I'm looking forward to our class. And I'm so glad you survived the storm. What a nasty Sandy she was!! Hugs

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love how Irene make the needlebook her own. Love her stitching too.

I've been thinking of you and am so relieved to hear you are OK, but then I remembered you are high so I was thinking the flooding wouldn't get to you, but I WAS worried about the wind.

XX, Carol

gracie said...

What a creative Needle-book.

Sarah Sequins said...

I'm glad you're OK!

Irene's needle book is awesome. I see that she and I have a similar sense of humor. ;)

margaret said...

a wonderful needle case, wonder if you keep your needles where they should be or do they wander about!

Jillayne said...

Love it! Just exactly the kind of fun thing that makes something truly special!

Judy said...

Oh dear Lordy, her work is the most beautiful stuff (non-nature) I have ever ever seen! I bow to her superior talent!! someday I hope to be one tenth as good as she is. I love her book, wonderful idea to keep different types of stitches in, esp. for one who is just learning and may not have access to her computer when needed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails